[Klug-general] Methods of Gaining Linux Skills to Work in Industry

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 23:12:46 GMT 2007

On 23/01/07, Hubertus A. Haniel <hubba at unixcook.com> wrote:

> Even though my main job function is Linux I still do the odd project on
> AIX and Solaris to keep me entertained ;)
> I would advise anybody not to just focus on Linux - Linux is a great OS
> and I have been using it since Slackware 3.0 but it has some serious
> shortcomings and Solaris 10 on the x86 hardware is currently a very
> strong opponent and will take a large chunk out of the linux market in
> the large enterprises. After all it is all UNIX ;)
>
> regards
> Hubba

Hang on did I not read that Sun were giving up on Solaris and is
turning to Linux so give it a couple of years and Solaris will be
legacy.
Hmm oh hang on what is actually happerning is Sun are thinking about
releasing Solaris under GPL and so we will end up with a sort of
Solaris/Linux/BSD high breed could be very intresting certainly an
area to watch.... ie pick your kernel and your software depending on
what your application is and what works best.

Peter.