[Klug-general] debian following Ubuntu's lead

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Sun Jan 28 16:19:33 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 14:00 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> Debian's sister project to get rid of windows again...
> http://goodbye-microsoft.com/
>
> Will we see see a wealth of these? I hope so...

I just hope it provides an end to end migration solution, importing
files etc... from the windows partition, otherwise it'll just cause bad
press for Linux.

In my opinion swapping out an operating system as you would a web
browser is a bad idea, this is delivered in the same vein as
getfirefox.com and shouldn't be, people really need to be made aware of
the issues that will arise and at least have some initial training.

I discussed this kind of thing at length with Quim Gil, it came down to
tour videos, tutorials and well indexed help files. Currently Yelp lacks
the ability to search man pages and doesn't even allow you to search the
current help document or help index. It is crippled and because of that
its not a good idea to get random joe dumb user to just jump in at the
deep end. We need ubiquitous help system and a training mode for GNOME
before anything like this really becomes positive, in the mean time lets
hope it doesn't cause a furore of users saying "All my files are gone
and its debians fault"

We need a migration system (probably using ntfs3g) and a desktop getting
started guide, also access to Rich Burridges list of "I need a linux app
to" needs to be completed and included in the help system to assist with
migration.

Of course wine helps, and when I'm finished with wine-doors 0.1 we
should see a hell of a lot more adopters (the WoW crew especially).

Lets just admit that migration isn't as simple as running a program from
a website, and put some real effort in.

K,