[Klug-general] Ideas, Offerings & Questions

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Jan 26 16:27:27 GMT 2007

> > But now I have a Debian server running (providing HTTP, SSH and FTP to
> > the world.. not user name and password is needed for SSH and FTP) I'm
> > assuming that I need some kind of software firewall on this box for
> > safety and (also just for education) What would people recommend? I
> > looked into firestarter but that requires GUI which I don't have/want
> > on this box.
> > Any ideas/recommendations?
>
> IPTables == excellent!
>
> Seriously, have a look at IP Tables.  I'd set them up from the
> physical console of the machine, that way when you start your ruleset
> with

NEVER, EVER, EVER type iptable rules in to a command line, you write a
script and run it, test it, then adapt it. This is essentially what
firestarter does.

It is a good gui but doesn't cover some of the more advanced options in
iptables.

I would recommend you setup X11 ssh forwarding to another unix box, and
run the firestarter GUI.

K,