[Klug-general] A question for Kevin

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 07:49:49 GMT 2007

J D Freeman wrote:
> I am inclined to think memory bus speed might be a factor, how big, I am
> not sure.

Not in the general scheme of things. Yes memory types and motherboard do
affect the general running of any box but it's what you accept. The
machines I already have are crappy bits of junk lying around.
> Yes, my opteron suggestion is now low on the noise front!!

LOL Quite.

> Yes, but you have 4 cores in the one box, so its semantically the same
> as 4 CPU cluster, but its all on one board. Whats more, the interconnect
> between each one is hypertransport, not ethernet, this speeds things up
> a little there. Not to mention the faster bus speeds for memory and the
> like.

Yes but I think I can afford to spend a grand on my system as apposed to
one of those for all the bad aspects of why I'm doing this.

> What sort of size dataset, and what tools are you using? I may have a
> weeks spare CPU time on a quad core opteron box during the next month
> and would be interested in benchmarking this.

This is OpenMOSIX, in fact you can download the Knoppix version and just
sling the CD into all your nodes and have a cluster on demand. I have a
few CDs if anyone wants to give this ago at the next meet? Might be
handy. I can show a Blender model and then we can play with a render
farm straight after!