[Klug-general] Dial up internet

Mark Leese m.leese at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 23 10:26:59 BST 2007

MacGyveR <macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk> wrote:  On Sunday 22 July 2007 17:54, Dan Attwood wrote:
> My in laws have decided to take the plunge get a PC and have agreed to give
> ubuntu a try before they shell out on a windows box or a mac.
>
> i need to set up a dial up, penny per minute internet connection for them.
> I've just tried to do this with BT, however their registration page dosen't
> work with firefox and the technical asked 'do you have XP or Vista'. So
> that was a no go.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendation for dial up internet?
>
> Dan

UK online work quite well and they have been around for ages.

use kppp or wvdial and setup is as easy as it is on windows, just fill in some
details and off you go

make sure your modem actually gives you a serial port, just get a cheap serial
port external one as these are hardware based not those horrible software
based ones that require proprietry firmware.

I can confirm that UK Online are really good, they were my first ISP. I never had any problems hooking linux upto them and that was 10 years ago.

  Thanks,
  Mark.