[Klug-general] Fwd: [lugmaster] [andrew07@andrewguard.com: Re: [Sussex] Andrew's Slides(FoI 2000)]

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Thu Jun 14 15:11:46 BST 2007

> http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page11080.asp

That doesn't seem to say anything about being a microsoft shop, in fact
they state open standards and specs and one of the important factors in
their decision making process, and with regard to the current EU issues
over microsofts server specifications I'd pretty much identify that as
definitely not we're a microsoft shop comment.

WRT: Local Gov, whats the point in an E-petition? These things are for
central government. Why not spend time talking to MP's in the area
rather than thinking you can sit at a computer and change things...

I am really quite annoyed at this lethargy among internet users, they're
keen to sit on their royal arse and talk like a left wing power to the
people type, but when it comes down to it, all they want to do is sit on
their computer and poke fun at the guv without even bothering to get
involved in any real positive action.

We're in a society which is built on capitalist ideology, FLOSS still
costs money regardless of the "but you can download it" ignorant
philosophy of most FLOSS users, for the guv it is and always has been
about interoperability, standards compliance and security. In the past
this was, microsoft office, exchange, and cisco firewalls, times have
changed, the government does realise this. However there needs to be
some real positive action, rather than just trying to get people to type
their bloody address into a poxy petition which has been proven time and
again the central government doesn't actually care about.

k,

PS. I have been a signatory on a few guv petitions, and non of them have
ever made a difference. They exist as user driven opinion polls rather
than real life petitions, which have shown they can have an effect.