[Klug-general]I've just had a slight problem with linux

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Wed Mar 14 19:23:53 GMT 2007

>         A couple of points: You dont need to reinstall windows or
>         linux. To install the windows bootloader again just inset the
>         cd, log into the windows installation (usually #1) and type
>         'fixmbr'. That will put the windows NTLDR (windows NT loader)
>         back in the master boot record.

and the oh so fantastic, fixboot command ;) why oh why do you have fix
as a command prefix? why mickysoft, why!

>         Gentoo-wiki goes through it very throughly but here are the
>         main ones for you:
>
>         http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Quick_GRUB - A quick version,
>         probably the best for you
>         http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_boot - A good one for you to
>         read
>         http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Boot_from_Windows_Bootloader_(NTLDR)_and_why - How to dual boot using NTLDR, not really for you but fun to read nonetheless.
>
>         Ubuntu's forums say how to recover your system from a MBR
>         problem also: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Not relevant information that George... Fedora has a quick fix ;)

pop the fedora disc in the drive, type linux rescue, flick through the
prompts (keyboard, network, detection), it detects and mounts your linux
drive, then all you do is

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install

Sometimes it requires a little fudging (try running /etc/rc.sysinit next
if the above generates errors), but soon with kexec support on the
install disc you should just be able to bring your running system up
from the CD, then re-install grub via the gui in gnome.

You may also need to regenerate your grub device list, but if you need
to it tells you how.

I've had drives with broken MBR's before, and no matter how many times
you install grub it never works properly, and I've had drives that would
run lilo and not grub, also broken, and I've had motherboards (jetway
*shudder*) that wouldn't run grub. Of course boot buggering problems are
generally resolved quickly, its still a pain in the arse when its _THAT_
broken. Generally though when fedora fails to correctly install grub
it's a bug in anaconda (the fedora core installer), and a quick
grub-install fixes that issue.

If you have any further problems with fedora gimme a shout, there is
generally an easy way to get anything done apart from sun java. Which is
why I just switched to ubuntu (I need eclipse to actually work!)

K,