[Klug-general] KLUG IRC Meeting LOG

james snyder james.snyder at linuxmail.org
Fri Mar 16 12:05:04 GMT 2007

In keeping with the political tone of the KLUG IRC Meeting LOG, I just thought I'd mention to the mailman that I was on the committee for the Linux Professional meeting last week in London for the all day summit meeting of Master Affiliates for Europe, Middle East and Africa, working as a volunteer. We had a 2 way group satellite video link to all the staff at LPI Toronto HQ. The CEO told me that LPI is willing to give some free Linux materials to the Linux User Groups. I negotiated with LPI Europe and the UK Master Affiliate, and as a result OFE are interested in enabling Rochester College to become an official LPI Training partner. Then I went to the LUG meeting in London, where I met the Head of LONIX, (a social LUG in London) and he said that some of the 4,000 LONIX Linux Users could be interested in joining up with KLUG for a social meet in Kent and that he could arrange minibus to and from Kent for his members and is interested in an alliance with KLUG. On another occasion I met the officer of the Lord Chancellor in Westminster and banged on about Open Source. The upshot of this is that at least election systems will now apparently run on an Open Source Software. It's a start. There are many good Linux activists around here, and doing hands on stuff (like computer fairs, training demos) is worthwhile. I think a lot more is being achieved in LUGs than is being achieved in meeting rooms. If anyone has any ideas on how we can further develop these initiatives, it would be great to hear from you.

Cheers,

Jim/Linux/James
Maidstone