[Klug-general] Mailing list etiquette, again

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Sat May 5 21:08:29 BST 2007

Shish wrote:
>> And you feel that people who dont post in a certain way undermine your
>> ability to post?
>>
>> If "yes" then you seem to have lost your "thick skin" you said you have.
>> If "no" then why start this argument?
>
> No, they do not undermine my ability to post, they undermine my ability
> to *understand*.

So the ability to post a reply has nothing to do with the ability to
understand the original post?

>>> Also, how was force suggested and / or applied?
>> So what are the point of rules if no-one adheres to them?
>
> My hope is that if people know that guidelines exist, and they know
> that there is a reasonable, logical explanation behind them, then the
> majority of people will follow them of their own free will.

And if no-one does...? Either a) there was no point posting them in the
first place or b) they will have to be forced/policed.

The point still stands that there is no point creating rules for such
trivial things like posting to a friendly list. There are /some/ rules
here though but they all concern keeping this a friendly place.

>> A general point was made that some rules about etiquette were needed, my
>> response was that if we use common sense then they aren't.
>
> Common sense isn't :P
>
> Where is the common sense in posting a new thread when replying to an
> existing one?
>
> Where is the common sense in changing the title of the thread if you
> are continuing the same topic?
>
> Where is the common sense in giving context to a message only after
> that message has finished?
>
> Where is the common sense in putting someone else's text and your own
> at the same level, so to someone glancing, they look as one message?

All irrelevant because this is the first time an innocent mistake like
this has occurred in 3 years of me being on this list.

Leave it alone, you made a mountain out of something infitely smaller
than a molehill.

> By your defenition of "if we use common sense then rules about
> etiquette aren't needed", and my reply of "we do not use common sense",
> then the conclusion we come to is "rules about etiquette *are* needed".

By that logic we should tell people to check all their punctuation
before posting, just in case it *may* lead to people misunderstanding
sentences/paragraphs/posts.

> I also wish to point out that I don't think the OP is necessarily
> lacking in common sense, just that they didn't explicitly sit down
> and spend time thinking about effective communication, as I have done :P

Are you trying intentionally to be rude?

>>> See why I think "quote, reply, quote, reply" is a good idea yet? It
>>> helps both reader *and* writer :P
>> *If* they are talking to you and you alone...
>
> If it helps one person understand the conversation, how does it not
> help a group? How would top-posting, bottom-posting, or not quoting at
> all be better?

Because we are all nice friendly people who understand people have
differing ways of doing things.

>> Have you seen the original poster make these mistakes time and time again?
>
> Why wait for mistakes to be repeated before pointing out better ways?

Again, have you seen the original poster make these mistakes time and
time again? If not it is probably a one-off. Wait for him to do a few
more times before you start judging him

>> Let it go, sometimes things like this happen.
>
> Myself and the poster in question have explained our positions and (I
> hope) come to a conclusion over the original incident~

And he decided that it was best if he stayed off the list for a week...
Well done.

>>> I have no idea why someone thinks that spending 5 minutes doing the
>>> above is a good thing, and spending 5 seconds following etiquette in
>>> order to make their message instantly understandable is a bad thing :-/
>> Why work it out? If you dont like how it is written - don't read it
>
> Because I was working on the assumption that if someone has posted,
> then they want what they've written to be read and understood by
> others. I wished to help the poster achieve this.
>
> IMHO, ignoring someone who wants to be heard is ruder than trying to
> help them get their message across.

In that case why doesn't everyone on the list reply to *every* post?

> As an anecdote; the last time I was upset by something someone said
> online was ~6 years ago, when I was 13. It was a discussion of
> reletavistic effects when one nears the speed of light -- I was
> insisting that newtonian physics made sense and reletavistic effects
> were silly*. There were two groups of people opposing me, those who
> were being openly aggressive, with much use of harsh language, who
> pointed out every tiny mistake I made, they actually pushed me to
> tears on several occasions; and those who basically said "there's no way
> you'll ever be able to understand", at which point they left the thread.
>
> So here we have three points:
> o) Open offense, swearing, calling names, etc
> o) Pointing out my mistakes
> o) Giving up hope
>
> And three results:
> o) I got a thick skin and learned to ignore irrelevant stuff
> o) I learned a lot about physics, logic, debate skills, and became a
>    much better person generally
> o) I was upset
>
> Can you guess which point led to which result? Hint: leaving me alone
> so that I could continue failing did not make me a better person.
>
> (If you notice me telling this story at every chance I get, it'll be
> because even though I was upset to tears, I still consider it the
> single most important event that made me as awesome** as I am now :P)
>
> * TBH, I still think relativity is silly, although I'll concede that
>   it's right :P
>
> ** in other news, my ego needs deflating :-/ A pint for anyone who can
>    use maths and logic to prove me irrefutably wrong about something, as
>    the physics dudes mentioned above did...

Who cares? Just because they treated you like an arse and I am younger
since my flight back from Australia doesn't mean that you should feel
the need to do the same. Hopefully you will learn from this as well.

> Thing is, from where I'm looking, "Post according to etiquette
> guidelines" IS "Post sensibly", seeing as all the guidelines are,
> IMHO, embodiments of sensibleness.

You seem to miss the point completely, we all *DO* post sensibly and
making mistakes is not failing to be sensible, it is human nature.

> The problem comes when different people have different ideas about what
> sensible is, which is why it helps to agree formally. Also, people
> might not necessarily have a different idea, but no idea at all, about
> what techniques are useful -- again, telling them is better than
> letting them flail about helplessly.

When have you seen that people have these different ideas?

>>> Personally, if I make a mistake, I wish to know about it. How else will
>>> I learn?
>> Personally I think the way you have handled this is fucking rude!!!
>
> So I noticed :) And thanks to the fact that you have pointed this out,
> I have learned that there are people on this list who's threshold for
> "fucking rude" is below my threshold for "clear, polite, and
> informative".

Clearly...

> I have also learned that when I read "You're an f'ing idiot, you're
> doing it all wrong (just like an idiot would, you idiot), you should do
> it this way, idiot", I ignore the offense part and take the advice part;
> but when other people read "you're doing it wrong, you should do it this
> way", they imagine an offence part where none is intended, and ignore
> the advice part...

I would ignore anyone who started off any advice with "You're an f'ing
idiot..." unless it was someone like Alan Cox or Linus Torvalds.

>> How dare you shove a small mistake down someone's throat on a friendly
>> list like this!
>
> Firstly, I wouldn't consider a combination of mistakes large enough
> that I couldn't understand the post to be "small".
>
> Secondly, if you think this is shoving something down someone's throat,
> I dread to think how you'd react to a flame war...

Heh, I'd say something here but it would sound patronising.

>>> Given that you think pointing out mistakes is a mistake, and you're
>>> pointing that out to me rather than ignoring it, that shows that you
>>> support my view and defeat your own :P
>> I'm arguing these points so you dont make the same mistake again and we
>> dont need some "rules and regulations" when we post
>
> And I'm arguing these points so that other people don't make their same
> mistakes again and we don't need to waste time deciphering when we read.

No-one has made these mistakes before and i doubt they will again so why
bother?

Are you looking for the job of list dictator?

> We're both arguing to the same degree, and both arguing with the
> intent of making the list a better place; the difference being, my
> argument isn't inherently hypocritical :P

The list is fine how it is, thankyou. And saying the list is fine does
not make me a hippocrite.

> I'm getting a lot of vibes of "We MUST all be tolerant of others, and
> allow them to make mistakes. Intolerance will NOT be tolerated; if
> they make that mistake, we must stop them immediately!"

Are you suggesting there is something inherently wrong with being
tolerant? The reason we try to be tolerant is because there are people
of various ages and experience here.

EOD.