[Klug-general] MythTV hardware etc questions

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Thu May 24 11:21:14 BST 2007

> So a mythtv box couldnt totally replace a sky or virgin box? Presumably
> you could still take an output from either and feed through a capture
> card into mythtv if you wanted to?

Sure, the easiest way is to use the external tuner stuff, which is
supported in both myth and freevo. All you need is an IR transmitter
which allows your box to proxy control your digital receiver. Which I am
about to do ;)

> I dont have sky or anything so i'm unaware but whats the current state
> with HD content? Is it only available via a satellite? You see all the
> sky HD channels, sky sports HD etc, but then ive seen that the BBC do
> some HD stuff as well. Do you need a sky subscription to get the BBC HD
> channels?

The BBC HD channels are on trial at present, there are HD receiver boxes
available and there is a linux compatible DVB-T/C/S receiver card
available (don't ask me where, I saw it reviewed a long time ago). Until
the softcam/(whatever encryption) issue is easily solvable then it comes
down to having an external tuner device for S/C.

You could always petition the government to make it legal to use
cable/satellite reception devices in PCs with an external decoder
dongle.

k,