[Klug-general] Problems with ps2pdf

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:18:00 BST 2007

On 24/05/07, Karl Lattimer <karl at qdh.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 13:56 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> > I have 3 Ubuntu 7.04 machines and a postscript file I wish to convert
> > to pdf using ps2pdf.
> >
> > 2 of them work fine the 3rd freezes and I'm not sure why.
> >
> > ps2pdf just hangs until ctrl-c is pressed.
> >
> > I can get simular problem when printing pdf files using cups on this
> > computer (but not on the other two)
> > so I think the problem is with ghostscript. As gs file.pdf freezes on
> > this machine too.
> >
> > oh ps2pdf just calls gs with the correct switches from what I can work
> > out.
> >
> > all 3 machines are using gs-esd.
> >
> > Any ideas of even what to look at would be most useful
>
> Have you checked how much CPU time you're using during the conversion?
> It could be as simple as its just taking a long time to convert.
> Alternatively I think you can get a copy of adobe distiller and run it
> with wine which _SHOULD_ work fine.
>
> K,

The machine it freezes on has more memory and a faster processor than the
other two.

gs-gpl works fine. As I did try swaping it at one point but it cuts the top
of some documents off, other wise that would have been a fix :)

However I think you might be right it does complete eventually but takes a
very very long time (51.596s according to time)

Peter