[Klug-general] Suspend to Disk - was laptops with linux

Alan at comm-tech alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Sat Nov 10 13:42:39 GMT 2007

Built into any 2.6 kernel is swsusp. It can suspend by shutting down all
but the RAM, or it  can suspend to file. I always found this swsusp to
be buggy and it tended to lose all my bloody work at some random point
between 10-15 suspend/resume operations.

As of kernel 2.6.17 I think, it is supposed to be better... but I still
dont trust it.

The only 100% reliable suspend/resume is Suspend2... which for some
reason was never incorporated into the kernel, so you still need a
patch. It uses the swap partition to save the RAM into, and you can
encrypt your hibernation file. Have been using this for a couple of
years now, need to move around all the time and sometimes have to use my
laptop in 10 locations in one day.  It's really solid,  I usually only
need to reboot if attaching the thinkpad docking station. The downside
is you have to roll a patch into your own kernel, but theres plenty of
HOW-TO's, perhaps too many ;)

I see Suspend2 has now renamed  Check it out: http://www.tuxonice.net/

Alan

2.6.15-26-386 #1 PREEMPT Sat Aug 5 15:42:29 WST 2006 i686 GNU/Linux.
13:31:21 up 65 days,  5:54, 17 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.51, 0.38

--
http://Comm-tech.org / 0208 6715555
205 Amesbury Avenue London SW2 3BJ