[Klug-general] VMWare Workstation - installation

Stuart Buckland stuart at nightime.org.uk
Mon Nov 26 21:08:12 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 18:22 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> Stuart Buckland wrote:
> > The only reason I recommended trying Workstation is because..
> > a) Mike has already downloaded it
> > b) He already has an eval license
> > c) it has features that Server doesn't
> > d) there is a lot more information out there in the VMware Knowledge
> > base and Forums
> >
> > If Mike finds Workstation works for him then by all means examine Server
> > too and see if that provides enough functionality without the need to
> > purchase Workstation.
> >
> > Personally I use both.  I have Server installed on my erm.. server and
> > Workstation on... you guessed it.. my workstation :)
> >
> > Stu
> >
> > On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 17:07 +0000, Colin McCarthy wrote:
> >> On Nov 26, 2007 4:45 PM, Stuart Buckland <stuart at nightime.org.uk>
> >> wrote:
> >>         There are a couple of free versions of VMware, namely Player
> >>         and Server
> >>         but if you want to experiment first then you made the right
> >>         choice by
> >>         using the eval of Workstation.
> >>
> >>         Stu
> >>

> >> I have installed VMware Server a couple of times on Ubuntu and it has
> >> always been quite a straight forward process.  When I have had a
> >> problem the answer was always in the VMware forums.
> >>
> >> I recommend trying VMware server, especially as it is free, as in
> >> cost :-)
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>

> What is the difference between the two?

There are quite a few so best you have a look at the VMware website.
Depending on what you need VMware for many of them could be considered pretty minor.

For me though the biggest differences are:
- The list of supported guest OS' is different between Server and
Workstation (I think they are the same with Server Beta 2 but I don't run that).
- Workstation has proper support for multiple monitors
- Workstation allows multiple snapshot
- You can also record and replay actions with Workstation.

There's every chance that you don't want or need the features I find useful.

Stu

--
Stuart Buckland <stuart at nightime.org.uk>