[Klug-general] Mandriva Installfest [WAS Dartford meeting in November?]

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 8 10:45:16 BST 2007

George Prowse wrote:
> Margot wrote:
>> Dan Attwood wrote:
>>> OK a few more thoughts on this
>>>
>>> - is it better to call it a 'linux installfest' rather then a
>>> 'mandriva' one
>>> and offer both mandriva and ubuntu? Is their more chance that people
>>> will
>>> have heard of linux then of either ubuntu or mandriva?
>>>
>>> - If we were to provide both mandriva and ubuntu how would we pitch the
>>> distros without confusing the hell out of people?
>>>
>>> - There is no internet at the venue. I can work on supplying 'apt on
>>> cd' for
>>> ubuntu builds to get them upto date and provide any extra packages.
>>> it there
>>> something similar for mandriva
>>>
>>> - I take it we'll be offering the free version of mandriva 'free' or
>>> 'one'.
>>> Do these versions have out of box multimedia support or can this be
>>> easily
>>> added? As part of any ubuntu builds that are done we will likely need to
>>> install  all the gstreamer sets, lame and flash in order to provide a
>>> 'fully' functional box.
>>>
>>> dan
>>>

>> This is what Mandriva offered to supply:
>>

>>   * Mandriva Linux One 2008
>>   * stickers
>>   * posters
>>   * pens
>>   * electronic communication kit
>>
>> And there will be publicity for the events as long as Mandriva knows
>> in time that we're doing it. BUT, as I said in my other reply, I doubt
>> if Mandriva will be happy to publicise our event or provide the free
>> goodies if we are promoting Ubuntu!
>>
>> Mandriva One provides everything a new user actually *needs* for a
>> basic Linux installation. Different users will want to add different
>> extras, depending on how they want to use their computers. I can
>> provide support for new users who need help learning how to add
>> sources for installing anything that isn't included in Mandriva One.
>>
> Yeah, but no- actually *uses* Mandriva anymore :p

Er - actually I have used it for nearly 10 years in all its evolutions
and find it the easiest and best for business use.

I'm not a fundi on Linux, just quite experienced in the actual use of it.

Mandriva is fine for my purposes. I just wish I could get to the
meeting, but unfortunately not this time.

MikeR