[Klug-general] 64 bits

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Sep 7 11:35:09 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 11:25 +0100, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
> Paul Littlefield wrote:
> > Hi Michael
> >
> > I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ right now, which runs like a charm. I have been using 64-bit processors for 4 years now with no problems. I use Gentoo Linux in full 64-bit mode, but also run 32-bit software under emulation. I achieve this by making sure that the kernel has the correct setting (CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y) when compiled.
> >

> Thanks for that Paul. That's the sort of advice I need. I had thought I
> would use Mandriva 64-bit as I have used Mandrake/driva for nearly 10
> years and I am not quite up to compiling up the kernel. So presumably
> that flag is set in prebuilt systems.

WRT 64bit, I'm having some stability issues with an Athlon64 X2 on
ubuntu.

However thats not what my reply is about

> I thought I would put 3Gb of RAM in it and 300Gb of HD and run VM so
> that I can install Win2000 and the Windows accounts program I have to
> use. That used to work under CrossOver Office but a recent upgrade to
> the accounts software incorporated lots of .NET stuff and now it
> doesn't. Switching back and forth 'twixt Linux and Windoze is becoming a
> pain.

Could you help me out with this, I am perfectly willing to add support
for your application to wine-doors, and once we have the MS .NET
installer running on wine (or mono for windows which will probably be
easier), I should be able to make it work fine.

Let me know some details of the software, or possibly you can loan me a
copy of it to get it running with wine-doors.

And to the rest of the list, if there is anything that keeps you dual
booting please let me know.

Regards,
 K,