[Klug-general] gtk-config

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 23 14:22:45 BST 2007

Karl Lattimer wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 12:52 +0100, Mike Rentell wrote:
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I thought I would install fsv (file system visualiser) so that I can
>> squeak 'This is UNIX! I know this.' when being stalked by dinosaurs.
>>
>> I downloaded the package and unpacked it and after invoking ./configure
>> it ran on OK for a bit then failed with:
>>
>> checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.1... no
>> *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
>> *** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
>> *** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
>> *** full path to gtk-config.
>> configure: error: Cannot find proper GTK+ version
>>

>> I have got /usr/lib/gtk-2.0 on board and as the source is dated 1999 I
>> wondered if that would be a problem.
>
> you need gtk 1.2 not 2, the two are API/ABI incompatible, you will need to install the dev stuff for it and you should be off.
>
> K,

thanks for that Karl. I didn't have gtk+2 on board when I downloaded the
fsv source package and ./configure indicated that it needed gtk. So I
installed it with the Mandriva update package and all seemed OK. But as
you say, it is gtk+2. Now that I try and remove it the gui loader gives
me a huge list of other stuff which will be deleted too which I really
don't want to fiddle with.

So it looks like I shall be stalked by dinosaurs without any comfort
after all. Pity - it looked fun.

MikeR