[Klug-general] Gauge of Interest

Goldfish goldfish654 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 00:17:26 BST 2008

2008/8/5 Colin McCarthy <binarysignal at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Goldfish <goldfish654 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just wondering whether anyone would be interested in a talk about PXE
>> booting and the fun things you can do with PXELINUX?
>>
>> I've got quite a bit of useful content and tips on how you can use it,
>> for example: network booting debian/ubuntu installers,
>
> I would be very interested in PXEBooting to a ubuntu installer as lots
> of laptops, like the eeePC, don't have a CD drive.
> Thanks for offering to do a talk on it.
> Colin

Ahh, all you EEP c weilding geeks will probably love it (if they
support PXE booting?). When I got my X31 I had little choice but to
network boot it, as it's got no internal drives unless you get the
docking station.  And I'd have to go all the way across town for that
:p  Debian and ubuntu installers are already configured for network
booting, and the process is ridiculously easy to get them set up.

One of my demos is booting a thin client - sort of.  And I do explain
how you can make your own thin-clients using KNOPPIX or a similar
distribution, and the tricks you have to do to pull it off properly.
Live linux distros are well suited to PXE booting, but there are a few
limitations which I'll go into.

I might try a bit of audience participation and ask for a laptop to
demo the PXE booting on - but if nobody is feeling up to it (I mean,
who wouldn't trust me with full low level access to their hardware?) I
can do it on my own machine.  But that's far less fun.

Fish