[Klug-general] Synopsis of the Saturday meeting

Philippe Yates philippe.y at franciscans.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 21:01:06 UTC 2008

Dan Attwood wrote:

> *Synopsis for KLUG meeting 29^th November at Maplston Noakes School -
> Maidstone*
>

> *Dramatis Persona*
>
> Mike
>
> Ghoti
>
> Spode
>
> Karl
>
> Julia
>
> Peter
>
> Sharon – physical delurker but known to us all
>
> Dan
>
> Paully
>
> Guillaume
>
> Toni
>
> Oly
>
> Wayne – relapsed lurker re-delurking
>
> Dan - network engineer at Mapleston Noakes and evil filterer of
> t'interweb ;-)
>
> Jim
>
> Shish
>

> Introductions including name, distro and site you'd like to visit be
> couldn't because of the content filtering.
>

> *Talk 1 – Pxe booting by Fish*
>

> Fish took us through the basic requirements of setting up a pxe boot
> system and why we might want to do it. Interestingly his talks slides
> were built into the actual pxe boot screens.
>
> Those interested could then have a bash at pxe booting their machines
> in DSL, freedos or the Debian installer.
>

> Brownster then showed us all his impressive cock
>

> Next up was the introduction to the day and outline seeing as how some
> numpty forgot to do it at the start of the meeting.
>

> *Talk 2 – Between Silk and Cyanide - Gpg talk by julia *
>
> A brief history of encryption from the karma sutra via Bletchley Park
> to the present day. General information about what gpg it is and why
> you should use it.
>
> This sparked a number of debates with the final conclusion that all
> emails from banks should be signed so that phishing scams become a
> thing of the past and that all emails to Mikes mum should be encrypted
> so that no one tries to rob his house when he's out.
>
> *
> *
>
> *Talk 3 - Openstreet Map *
>
> A few basics on the Openstreet Map project – What? Why? And How?
>
> Then came the logistics of dividing into teams and finding parking and
> food/ brew shops for those that needed it.
>
> It all worked out fine and several hours later small, suspicious,
> teams of very wet, very cold people were to be seen wandering around
> the cul-de-sacs and woodlands of Maidstone.
>
> The teams managed to collect some data and reconvened at Dans house
> were,one kernel regression later, 11 people tried to sit round a table
> made for 8 and enter information into a GUI designed by CLI user on a
> 12 inch laptop. We'll have to wait until Thursday to see if it was all
> worth it.
>

> **
>
> *Geek-a-Masala-world-tour-Maidstone-edition*
>
> We had a bit of time to kill before the curry and so decided to take a
> short stroll to a local beverage retail outlet. Unfortunately for some
> [...]
This is pernickety I know but even though I know little about computing,
I do know some Latin - so here is my contribution to debate.
The Latin is "Dramatis persona_e_" the characters (plural) of the play.
"Dramatis persona" would be the character (singular) of the play -
implying only one person was there. If so then whoever you are you have
a fascinating psychological condition.
Still I'm glad the meeting and meal went well and you all enjoyed
yourselves and got some useful work done too - sounds like a well
rounded day.
Philippe

--

Br. Philippe Yates, OFM