[Klug-general] Help please - graphics card installation

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 1 14:06:49 GMT 2008

HNY to all.

I am still trying to get the graphics card for my new AMD64-bit PC to
work - this after nearly 3 months trying. At the moment it appears
lifeless because Flightpath has an fps count of just about one.

I specified nvidia stuff and it is. The installation CD has a linux
directory containing a script to run to install it. I've copied that
onto the  HD and installed all the kernel source codes but when I run
the script (at run level 3 as it demands) it notes that there is no
precompiled graphics set available and states that it will now compile
one suitably.

Then it complains it has neither the kernel-source-path and the
kernel-output-path, but not worry as I can append both to the script
invocation line.

Baffled!

So can anyone suggest what the kernel-source-path and the
kernel-output-path could be?

I have tried :

(a) /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18

and

(b)  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-amd64

...but it complains that they aren't right.

I am running Debian 4.0 'Etch' for 64-bits and the kernel is 2.6.18-5.

i would welcome advice from anyone who can help put some fizz into my
graphics.

Ta

MikeR