[Klug-general] [OT] Bill Gates: the last day at Microsoft

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 16:12:17 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:00 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:20 +0000, Colin McCarthy wrote:
> >> This is a bit off topic, but am sure you will all smile after watching
> >> it.
> >>
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1M-IafCor4
> >>
> >> What ever your views are on MS, I believe you have to give the man his
> >> dues. First to what he developed and second for being able to make fun
> >> of yourself.
> >
> > All that video said to me the first time I saw it was, well MS are
> > proving that they have money by hiring all of the celebs to be in it.
> >
> > Now you mention it I'd like to know what Bill developed other than a
> > massive corporate entity that has gone some way to destroy software
> > development from a developer perspective and a business perspective, to
> > reference an unofficial quote from Bill. "Writing code at redmond is
> > like eating noodles with one chop stick"
> >
> > Finally I find it hard not to make fun of Bill, he's an easy target, and
> > well no matter how hard weedy boy and monkey boy "TRY" to be funny, they
> > just end up looking stupid. Remember the "Get on your feet" vocal chord
> > surgery incident?
> >
> > K,
> >

> Well, I think he's a very successful businessman, he deserves *some*
> credit for that. Most very successful businessmen aren't nice in their
> work, just look at Sir James Goldsmith

Thats kind of like saying Stalin was a successful dictator and he at
least deserves *some* credit for that...

It seems you'd be ignoring the Polish massacre, or the redirection of
funds into the military and the lack of bread and water, or the
exploitation of the bourgeoisie in the building of the road of bones
etc...

A successful business man that deserves credit would be richard branson,
who hasn't behaved in a monopolistic manner.

"nice" has nothing to do with it, its about treating others well in
business rather than stomping on them.

K,