[Klug-general] [OT] Bill Gates: the last day at Microsoft

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 17:34:30 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 17:10 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> Karl Lattimer wrote:
> >> Every businessman wants a monopoly that makes money. If you want ethics
> >> then big business is not for you.
> >
> > And here we go with a complete fallacy...
> >
> > How many grocery store owners want a monopoly? They want fair
> > competition.
> >
> > Businessmen generally don't want a monopoly they just want clients which
> > pay them so they get paid and so they can grow their business.
> >
> > I think you should stop speaking for "Every businessman" until you at
> > the very least actually own one successful business. Oh but please
> > remember that monopolistic behavior is actually ILLEGAL! You're
> > essentially condoning breaking the law here.
> >
> > FYI:
> >
> > Novell - big company, not monopolistic, doesn't want to be monopolistic
> > Sun - big company, not monopolistic, doesn't want to be monopolistic
> > etc...
> >
> > K,
> >
> Come on Karl, don't be so naive. What is the purpose of a business? It
> isn't to survive, it's to make money. And the most efficient way? Be the
> only person they can buy off.

I'm not naive, but not everyone thinks like that. FCOL George not
everyone wants to corner their market, some just like to offer good
products and make a profit.

To even suggest that everyone wants to be that way is incredibly
arrogant. You don't know everyones mind George, and you don't speak for
everyone... One of these days you may learn that lesson.

> I never said it is the right or the honourable way to do things, just
> the most efficient. Simple economics.

But you'd give credit to someone for doing it...

Hypocrite!

K,