[Klug-general] [OT] Bill Gates: the last day at Microsoft

Karl Buckland karl at digital-end.com
Fri Jan 11 12:19:41 GMT 2008

George Prowse wrote:
> Of course i'd give credit for building a strong business and making
> decisions that are good for said business. If I were him i'd probably
> have done the same, but i'm not and therefore it is my right to get
> annoyed about them :)

I think the way I'd put it is this:
I can respect the hard work and great sales and marketing strategy that
Bill has essentially used to get MS to where it is. We all know that
Microsoft has never provided the best technical solution, or even the
best support solution. It just came down to a bit of luck and some good
sales and marketing. Now I don't agree with Microsoft's business methods
but I can still respect that in the big corporate world those methods
are generally quite smart. Microsoft has got where it is, without
significant penalty and continues to perform really rather well. Purely
from a business/results perspective that's good. Now I wouldn't have
done it, because it's not the sort of person I am, but I can still
respect it. And at least in the case of Bill Gates, he gives quite a lot
to charity. He could do worse...