[Klug-general] The only security is obscurity

Stephen Ryan sryan at intrench.com
Wed Jan 16 00:19:50 GMT 2008

After a long discussion regarding the relative merits and demerits of PC
security and Bill Gates contribution, i'd like to ask anyone out there
(especially Stu):

Not to give any information out about any of your specific clients. Just in
case they become a target.

This isn't a threat - i say it simply to prove that the only reason why
everyone feels so safe out there is that they are generally sufficiently
obscure and hidden enough - not to become a target.

This might seem like an off topic issue - but believe me it affects us all.
You don't like FUD - well maybe you haven't felt any of the reality yet.

Whatever any one says - PC software and the industry it supports is
inherently flaky - and that has an impact on everything from ensuring
business integrity to maintaining our childrens data to personal citizens
records held by the Inland revenue.

A major rethink of the computing security paradigm by those who can and will
help is essential.

Stephen Ryan
www.intrench.com <http://www.intrench.com/>