[Klug-general] Software Vs Hardware Raid

Peter Frost P.Frost at kent.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 15:31:05 BST 2008

Peter Childs wrote:
> I am trying to get the pros and cons straight in my mind.
>
> Software Raid
>
> Easy to configure
> Cheap Just put more drivers in your machine

  + Not tied to a single brand of RAID controller (you can replace your
SATA controller/motherboard with a different one, put the array into
another machine, etc.); my understanding is that with hardware RAID you
generally have to stick to one chipset or set of chipsets, otherwise
your array will stop working. I have always used software RAID though so
I may be mistaken.