[Klug-general] Software Vs Hardware Raid

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 07:38:51 BST 2008

2008/7/3 Martin A. Brooks <martin at antibodymx.net>:
> J D Freeman wrote:
>>
>> These days linux software raid is your best option.
>
> I respectfully disagree. Software RAID stops working when your OS does,
> decent hardware RAID doesn't.

How do you work that one out?

Hardware Raid talks to your OS, If the OS stops working so does the
Hardware Raid, Your disks may still be running but if your OS is broke
you can't get at it so whats the point.

You are not tied into the wims of one hardware Raid Manufacture.
Software raid will work with any version of Linux, controller and any
disk you just plug and go.

Or are you suggesting Network Attached Storage Raid but thats a whole
different ball park

If Hardware Raid was actually faster than software Raid (Which one
would normally imagine it should be) it might be a good idea,
Unfortunately its not. With modern processors the Disk is the slowest
item in the machine and hence the computer will run at the speed of
the slowest item in the machine, and that is in this case the harddisk
(Not the disk controller, processor, Memory, graphics etc etc)
(Actually the slowest item on a machine is the user but thats not the
point)

Peter.