[Klug-general] I.T.T.A.

Philippe Yates philippe.y at franciscans.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 11:49:00 BST 2008

Why would a meeting on the Feast of St. Anthony of Padua be a problem?
It's a great day for a party, especially If you've lost anything (he is
the saint many pray to when they have lost something - he is also very
good at finding parking spaces in my experience).
Ah... Friday 13th - now I see. In Catholic England (pre-1550's) this was
always a lucky day and number - the day Christ died to save us (hence
Good Friday) and the number of Christ and the apostles. The Reformation
turned all that on its head. Just like ladders against a wall forming a
triangle and thus a good luck symbol of the Trinity that one should walk
through.
Therefore, I hope you all enjoy a good social evening (sadly Maidstone
is a bit far for me) and superstition gets left where it should be - in
the titles of horror movies.
With every best wish,
Philippe

Sharon wrote:
> The calendar has rolled around and we have another Maidstone Social Meeting on
> Friday the 13th June at the Society Rooms, next door to the Maidstone East
> railway station, from 1930 onwards.
>
> I'm not superstitious and I hope that you're not too. You can help and prove
> it by coming along on the night, and I look forward to seeing you there.
>
> Sharon.

Br. Philippe Yates, OFM
Principal
Franciscan International Study Centre