[Klug-general] HP printer ink question

Wayne browns.postbox at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:36:31 BST 2008

Hi,
Not wanting to hi-jack Mike's thread about printers but he got me
thinking about the price of ink for HP printers.
I've had an old Epson 440 for years now and can buy compatibles
cartridges for < £3 black and around £5 for colour.
Now I think I'm right in saying that due to patents etc no-one except
hp can make the cartridges so you are limited to re-cycled or new is
that right?
I also understand that the cartridges are bigger and you need to know
how much ink is in them to get a true comparison, does anyone know if
that's true?
What do people here use and do you get good prices for your ink; I have
thought for a long time the printers are nearly a loss leader, the
manufacturers relying on ink sales to make big bucks?

Thanks,

Wayne (AKA Brownster)