[Klug-general] Re: Help with Linux TV Server (Myth) Needed?

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 08:35:30 BST 2008

2008/6/16 Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com>:
> 2008/6/16 Karl Buckland <karl at digital-end.com>:
>> I hate to say it, but I did recommend looking at the supported hardware on
>> mythtv.org first:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Video_capture_cards
>>
>> Getting an unsupported card to work can be a complete nightmare as you are
>> discovering.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> I did not buy it, I was given the box :)
>
> My brother inlaw purchased it and decided he did not have room for it
> so gave it to us (To use, sell or find a good home). Nice computer
> except for the TV card. I was nearly at the point of giving up until I
> found the patch.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter

>>> That might be the quicker answer, In theory you can write a udev rule
>>> to do this but I'm note sure how.... I'm sure ln -s is not the right
>>> command!
>>>
>>> Its not that the machine has multiple tuner its that it has a tuner
>>> with a multiple frontends ie 1 tuner that that can be a satellite
>>> tuner or a freeview tuner just not both at the same time. So Myth has
>>> to have some "knowledge" of this fact to know thats its an either, or
>>> but not both at once.
>>>
>>> Hence Myth needs to know about the second tuner front end and also
>>> know that it can't use both front ends at once..... From what I read
>>> myth handles multiple tuners as they appear as separate adapters even
>>> when on the same device.
>>>
>>> I don't like having to recompile v4l to get it working :(
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> PS has the mailing list been having some problems over the weekend?

Works fine now, Only problem I currently have is that it will not play
realmedia streams like hmm BBC Radio, (Windows Media Player ones are
fine) Iplayer works fine via the flash player....

Sure I could get other things working and improve the GUI but
currently can't be bothered. If we decided that Virgin is not worth
having any more we might get a couple of extra tuner cards and use it
a bit more but for the moment is does everything we need.

I wonder if the Real/Helix problem is fixable. I think its somthing to
do with hmm MythBrowser, 64bit Linux and Reals plugin....

Peter.