[Klug-general] Clustering

Rob Malpass r.malpass at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 1 12:47:32 GMT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Rentell" <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>
To: "Kent Linux User Group - General Topics" <kent at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Klug-general] Clustering

> Hah! That seems to be what I am looking for. I've taken a look at that
> web-site and it seems very suitable. I especially like the bit about the
> cluster working happily with normal applications etc.
>
> Many thanks for that and all the other suggestions. Most helpful.
> Mike Rentell
>

> Hubertus A. Haniel wrote:
>>

>> You have not actually specified if you want to cluster for distributed
>> compute power or high availability - I am going to assume that you want
>> distributed compute power and for that http://openmosix.sourceforge.net
>> is an interesting project which I played a while back and it works well
>> for threaded applications.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Hubba
>>

>> Mike Rentell wrote:
>>> G'day all,
>>> A friend has taken delivery of eight 32-bit PCs recently chucked out by
>>> his company. Reasonable spec, nothing special.
>>> We have been discussing stacking them in a room, wiring them together
>>> and using them as a Linux cluster.
>>> Would anyone in the group know the best distro to use and, more to the
>>> point, know of any idiot proof tutorial stuff anywhere?
>>> Cheers
>>> MikeR

> 269.21.1/1302 - Release Date: 27/02/2008 16:34

Coming to this a bit late but I set up a lam-mpi cluster a few years back on
6 Slackware 7.1 nodes.   If I can do it, I can't be that hard.

www.lam-mpi.org
www.slackware.com

lam itself has now been superseded by openmpi which I've not used but you
can still download lam.   I used 6.5.9 for distributed computing.    It ran
a mandelbrot set in 40 seconds on one PC which came down to under a second
using 6 - and none of the PCs were that special.

Currently investigating the same thing with 4 virtual servers on a much more
modern box.

Cheers
Rob