[Klug-general] KLUG Project

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Sat Mar 15 09:05:35 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 08:43 +0000, Dan Attwood wrote:

> I've got an other idea for a small project - hopefully simple project.
>
> A music backup program. You point it at your store of ogg files and
> press go. And you then just keep feeding it cd/dvds when it asks for
> them. However unlike nearly every other back program i've looked this
> one won't zip or compress the files in any way. It just fits as much
> as it can onto dvd as native files and then moves onto the next dvd.
> Thus should you need to recover you whitesnake collection you can just
> grab dvd 6 and copy the files back off without needing dvds 1 - 5 as
> well.

One thing I'd like to mention if you were going to do this.

High parity archives! splitting rars/tars/zips is all well and good,
however you need to make sure if one CD breaks a bit, all of the music
isn't suddenly trash.

If you can get over that small problem, then I'd use it! I've been
looking for a decent backup program for archiving media, wizbit will be
cool for concurrent backup, which is a distributed git filesystem... but
its a while off and not suitable for media.

K,