[Klug-general] Debian question

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:55:14 BST 2008

Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 01:24:35PM +0100, George Prowse wrote:
>> Debian should say they're relaxing their rules, that would help. Then go
>> on a big PR exercise
>
> Debian would need to rewrite their social contract to allow this.
> It would be better to just remove the Mozilla software from the main
> repository.

I dont see anything wrong with rewriting their social contract, it
obviously needs a bit of an upheaval if they cant have Firefox and have
to go all the way to rebrand it.

Would anyone leave if they rewrote it to allow it? I doubt it.

> I don't think you understand the issue; if you don't like Debian's
> philosophy then it would be better to use a different distribution
> than to suggest that Debian change in this fundamental way.  They
> don't all have to be the same, and there is no objective "best"
> answer because this isn't a technical matter.

It's not THAT fundamental, no-one would notice if you ammended it
slightly, no-one is saying get rid of it.