[Klug-general] Geeka Masala Tours To Maidstone

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Fri Nov 7 14:55:05 UTC 2008

Mike wrote:

> The only other project I know that has produced this info did so by
> writing a web crawler, crawing the web and creating a postcode list and
> then converting it using a number of free lookup utilites.  Apparently
> it took a good few months, sells for 90 quid and is, naturally, of
> questionable legality.

There is also this:

http://www.npemap.org.uk/

where visitors can insert postcodes onto a map. They are using old
Ordnance Survey maps that are out of copyright, so the collected data is
in the public domain. The old maps can be tricky as some built up areas
still show as green fields.

The data is only as good as visitors insert, but it is a free source of
postcode->Grid Ref->Lat/Long.

Regards,
--
Laurence Southon