[Klug-general] Memory Stick

Wayne browns.postbox at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:50:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:33:23 +0000
"Jeremy Hooks" <jeremyhooks at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2008/11/16 rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk <rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk>:
> > Also reformatting failed as device is read only
>
> That's a bit of an odd one - were you definitely root (or sudoing)
> when you tried the reformat?
>
> Nathan's fsck suggestion is interesting - though he doesn't mention
> why you might want to use it.  As you say one stick was ext2
> formatted, presumably if it wasn't cleanly unmounted (e.g. just pulled
> out), it could be marked dirty and then would only be mounted
> read-only by default until it was checked.  I'm not sure if this would
> affect the other (presumably vfat) stick.  I have a vague recollection
> that this may be related to the sixth field of the fstab.

I hadn't thought of that, it'll be interesting to see if that is the
problem. I take it for granted when fsk runs on a normal partition
that's not been un-mounted cleanly, I guess there would be a log
message to this affect but possibly not seen with a gui mount tool?

> BTW a good way to add
> execute/search permissions to a number of directories is - find ./
> -type d -exec chmod u+x {} ';'  (this find all files of type 'd'
> (directories) and executes the command chmod u+x)

That's the kiddy, I would have ended up with something twice as long
I'm sure :)

I should also add a correction to my initial post, I suggested using
'auto' in the fstab file, this would generate an error if the stick was
not plugged in, doh!

Best wishes,

Wayne.