[Klug-general] No eth0 - got me stumped!

Wayne browns.postbox at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 14:57:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:54:24 +0100
George Prowse <george.prowse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Etenil wrote:
> > Hi George, why not dumping us a small lspci?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Because the system loads up the drivers there will be nothing to be
> found there, it is loading up the correct one (and the wrong one).
>
> dmesg give nothing also.
>
> It's a toughie, I can usually fix anything but this one has me
> stumped because as far as the OS knows everything is fine (loads the
> drivers) and therefore no errors.

Hi George,
Perhaps looking at udev / rules and events will give a clue to what is
happening?
You say both drivers are loaded, the correct *too one and the *cp, you
can blacklist the offender in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist I believe.
However you would still expect to see some entries for ethernet cards.
eth0, eth1 etc.
is it an onboard card and are you sure it hasn't failed? worth swapping
out / adding one in to verify?
A clue to what linux see's is
in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
in here an entry with the mac address for the card and the naming for
it. there should be an entry here and if not why not?
I'm also not sure on this but look in /var/log/udev , appears to show
you what the system found and assigned, have a grep
grep -i eth /var/log/udev

Cheers,

Wayne.