[Klug-general] Dover Meeting

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 14:40:26 UTC 2008

Peter Frost wrote:

> It's a music project by Jono Bacon (he of LUGRadio fame). It's all
> creative-commons licensed.

But what happens if you really don't want "Eight tracks of pounding
metal", even if you think that this project is a cool, interesting and
radical idea?

Like the free software market I can understand that some people will
contribute to the the marketing of the product by evangelising for it
voluntarily. This contribution is potentially as valid as parting with
pounds or yen.

If Mr Bacon is making the music not only as a gift to the world, but as
an artist who hopes to live by the fruits of his endeavours, he will
have to show that the income from sales of recordings is no longer
needed in order to finance both the other aspects of his career and his
living costs.

This is indeed interesting (to me) and if not radical then at least
unusual.  I have not heard his music, and am therefore pre-judging based
on his description. However, the fact remains that I am unlikely to be
interested in any quantity of pounding metal.  Given that he is
attempting to show that the music can support himself and its own
marketing based on the efforts of those who enjoy the music, rather than
those who believe in his politics or economics, I find myself unable to
support his project, other than to say "Good luck".

Mike