[Klug-general] This sudo thingy in Kubuntu

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 2 16:48:53 UTC 2009

A cry for help (again!). I'm fiddling with Kubuntu under VBox and it all
seems to work but I can get no web pages with java bits to work so I
have downloaded:

jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin

from a website but I can't get it to run and install. I've tried sudo
jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin but it comes back immediately and says that it
isn't authorised. It doesn't ask for my password which is what I thought
was supposed to happen with this sudo thingy.

I do wish Ubuntu would allow root passwords. Can anyone enlighten me?
I'm obviously doing something stupid.

MikeR