[Klug-general] This sudo thingy in Kubuntu

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Apr 2 17:07:32 UTC 2009

2009/4/2 Mike Rentell <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>:
> A cry for help (again!). I'm fiddling with Kubuntu under VBox and it all
> seems to work but I can get no web pages with java bits to work so I
> have downloaded:
>
> jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin

You probably don't want to do that. Java is in the standard
repository, no need to run random binary blobs from upstream websites.

Install the sun-java6-plugin packages. Job done.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

> from a website but I can't get it to run and install. I've tried sudo
> jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin but it comes back immediately and says that it
> isn't authorised. It doesn't ask for my password which is what I thought
> was supposed to happen with this sudo thingy.

It's nothing to do with sudo, you're doing it wrong.

sudo ./jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin

Is what you would have wanted, but as I mentioned above, thats sub-optimal.

Cheers,
Al.