[Klug-general] This sudo thingy in Kubuntu

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 18:36:36 UTC 2009

2009/4/6  <matt at theshadowaspect.com>:

>>> or you could just use 'sudo su' to get full root shell access without
>>> the
>>> need for playing with root passwords.
>>>
>>> Matt
>>>
>> we've already discusses that the best way to do that is sudo -s but if
>> the OP wants to sign in as root he needs to create a root password
>>

> ok, my apologies, I must have missed that part of the thread.
>
> in that case further to actually creating a root pw, Ubuntu has disabled
> root log in in gdm by default if I remember correctly. So this will also
> need to be enabled from System, preferences, Log in manager.
>
> thanks
> Matt

I hope you will find that root login is disabled on nearly every login
prompt around whether that be KDM, GDM, XDM, ssh etc etc etc on most
of the distros If need to login as root which is NOT advised on any
system (including Windows). Its should only be for doing admin and the
LOG STRAIGHT OUT and back in as a user.

Sudo is good as it stops lots of people from needing to know the root
password, so you can keep your password private and never tell anyone
what they are. Treat it as a prefix just add the word sudo to the
beginning of every line, it will only ask you your password once.

Peter.