[Klug-general] Java problems on upgrade

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 20 15:15:44 UTC 2009

G'day all,
I've upgraded to Mandriva 2009 (64-bit) and now my Firefox (ver 3.0.8)
won't play the Java apps it used to. I suspect it is because some bits
are in /usr/lib and some in  /usr/lib64  (i.e. pointer or filename
problem) because I have a jvm and all its bits on board and apparently
loaded.

/etc/java/java.conf is below:

# System-wide Java configuration file               -*- sh -*-
#
# JPackage Project <http://www.jpackage.org/>

# Location of jar files on the system
JAVA_LIBDIR=/usr/share/java

# Location of arch-specific jar files on the system
JNI_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/java

# Root of all JVM installations
JVM_ROOT=/usr/lib/jvm

# You can define a system-wide JVM root here if you're not using the
default one
#JAVA_HOME=$JVM_ROOT/jre

# Options to pass to the java interpreter
#OPTIONS="-Dgnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.Graphics=Graphics2D"

/usr/lib/java is totally empty

/usr/lib/jvm is a pointer pointing to /etc/alternatives/jre

I'm baffled, the java app I want starts up the ftp facility on my club's
website and worked OK in 32-bit Mandriva 2008. It loaded the JRE logo
and took off. Now it tries to load that page and then hangs.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

MikeR