[Klug-general] Java problems on upgrade

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 21 13:04:15 UTC 2009

George Prowse wrote:
> danattwood wrote:
>> Mike Rentell wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the interest and support Stuart. But I finally lost patience
>>> with it when it failed to find my CDs. It will find system DVDs but when
>>> I put a music CD in the slot it simply ignored it.
>>>
>>> I re-installed Mandriva 2008 (32 bit) yesterday afternoon, updated
>>> on-line this morning and am back to square one with everything working
>>> faultlessly.
>>>
>>> I think I will let Mandriva work on their 64-bit offering for another
>>> couple of years before trying it again.
>>>
>>> It's broke.
>>>
>>> But thanks for trying to help.
>>>
>>> MikeR
>>>
>>> Stuart Brand wrote:
>>>

>> I think it's probably unfair to say that it's broke - however like all
>> 64 bit linux distros I've tried it's probably  much better suited to be
>> a server at the moment rather then a desktop machine. I've recently gone
>> back to 32bit ubuntu on my desktop as I got fed up have to try to make
>> things work - with 32bit it's not a problem.
>>
> Maybe 5 years ago but i've been using 64bit gentoo for 4 years without a
> problem. Also, apart from things like flash there has never been any
> 64bit problems. Sometimes you just need to have the time to fix these
> things and to make a bug report. I also find it impossible to believe
> that Mandrake hasn't had a perfectly running 64bit offering for at least
> 3 years.

Well that's what I was counting on. But it certainly didn't suit me. No
working jre, no sound for CDs. I got the VBox (64 bit) working OK but
the sound from Windows was awful - sort of a fast stuttered interrupt.
One or two other niggles.
I'll let it go for a bit and see how it comes on. I am not clued up
enough to do any really clever fiddling. I use the system for running my
society so it just has to work like Mdv2008.1 (32-bit) - and it don't,
not for me anyway. Pity really, it cost me EUR49 last October. Wasn't
worth the money unfortunately.
MikeR