[Klug-general] KLUG OS

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Apr 29 17:40:45 UTC 2009

Stuart Brand wrote:
> How about a "Welcome to Linux" distro, a basic live cd that has firefox and a
 > terminal that we can write tutorials for? stuff like that

For those interested in getting a truly basic Linux installation, and at
the same time get an understanding of what it's really all about at the
deeper levels, I recommend Linux From Scratch

   http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Some years ago this used just to be an online howto - but it has matured
into a well structured tutorial and series of books which are available
to read online.

Those wishing to take it further should see Beyond Linux From Scratch
from the some URI.

In order to genuinely create a distribution it is more or less necessary
to do something like this, but at the same time creating a repository
with all the compiled packages in it.  Preferably for all the
architectures you intend to support.  Then you have to maintain all the
compiled packages each time one of them changes.  This, I imagine, is
simple in theory, and tedious in practice.