[Klug-general] KLUG OS

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 19:59:30 UTC 2009

J D Freeman wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 07:21:05PM +0100, George Prowse wrote:
>> I was just having a sly dig at Debian, nothing to do with me.
>
> We are used to it :p

Debian deserve it for atrocious things like the iceweasel fiasco

>> If you're looking at a distro that runs well on slow hardware then
>> Gentoo is probably your best bet as it will be up and running (command
>> line) in a couple of hours. After a few long (during the night) compiles
>> (only if you want X) you should have a nifty system. A few packages I
>> would suggest is slim, openbox (if so also get obconf and obmenu),
>> pypanel and most importantly ccache to speed subsequent compiles up.
>
> I would actually disagree. Spending three weeks waiting for emerge to
> compile something is a bad way of spending time.
>
> There are versions of linux designed for small footprint. They are more
> likely to work out the box.
>
> What do you want your box to do tho? I run a console only debian in 16 meg
> on a 486 fine. Works perfectly for running ssh and vi and the like.

Only if he wants the cli, With Gentoo he wouldn't have all the Debian
bloat and therefore a gui would work much faster. Plus any compiling
would just be done in one go through the night. The only things that
take ages are OO.o, gcc, glibc and virtually anything qt related (god
knows why but they just are)