[Klug-general] System temperature monitoring

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 12:13:44 UTC 2009

J D Freeman wrote:

> This is actually one area I don't have a command line answer, as I use
> gklremm for machine monitoring, this gives me useful temperature numbers.
>
> hddtemp has proven reasonably accurate for me on western digital hard
> disks.

I think the biggest issues comes from whether you have the right bits
and bobs (technical term for drivers etc) installed to pick up the
information.  If you do then it is almost certainly brought through to
the virtual filesystem in /proc and you can access that with cat, grep
and sed if you need to as most things in there end up looking like text
files.

For example on my main machine:
$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
temperature:             40 C

Mike