[Klug-general] kentlug.org down?

Karl Buckland karl at digital-end.com
Mon Dec 14 18:34:33 UTC 2009

Yes, both MySQL and PHP use more memory than they probably should, but
then it's not like memory is particularly expensive? PHP allows rapid
development of software, which usually runs pretty fast, but there is
a memory overhead for that. Dan: Is some PHP caching software
installed, like APC Cache?

Having developed and administered PHP/MySQL/Postgres websites, I
personally prefer MySQL over postgres. Not only is MySQL faster, but
Postgres is not as well documented, takes more configuration and seems
to leave more things to the developer that I would expect to 'just
work'. Perhaps if you're happy to learn about the shifting internals
of Postgres you can get a better result than MySQL, but that doesn't
make it the easier tool to develop with.

As for losing data with MySQL - that's never happened to me either and
is something people seem to throw around from their experiences of
MySQL from 5+ years ago? Besides - you do back up, right?

Karl