[Klug-general] kentlug.org down?

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:33:53 UTC 2009

2009/12/14 Karl Buckland <karl at digital-end.com>:
> Yes, both MySQL and PHP use more memory than they probably should, but
> then it's not like memory is particularly expensive? PHP allows rapid
> development of software, which usually runs pretty fast, but there is
> a memory overhead for that. Dan: Is some PHP caching software
> installed, like APC Cache?
>
> Having developed and administered PHP/MySQL/Postgres websites, I
> personally prefer MySQL over postgres. Not only is MySQL faster, but
> Postgres is not as well documented, takes more configuration and seems
> to leave more things to the developer that I would expect to 'just
> work'. Perhaps if you're happy to learn about the shifting internals
> of Postgres you can get a better result than MySQL, but that doesn't
> make it the easier tool to develop with.

I have never yet seen any MySQL docs that I understand and say more
cross your things and hope for the best.....

> As for losing data with MySQL - that's never happened to me either and
> is something people seem to throw around from their experiences of
> MySQL from 5+ years ago? Besides - you do back up, right?

No I've used MySQL a couple of times in the last 6 months more due to
not having a choice, each time  I've ended up with either a corrupt
database or a database without the data I thought I had put into it.
The only MySQL database I have that has not died is administrated by a
web host provider....
(Oh and usually no idea how to fix it) (On the otherhand I use
PostgreSQL all the time and have never had any problems.

Peter