[Klug-general] jre on a 64-bit system

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 24 15:48:38 UTC 2009

G'day again all,
I'm taking the time over the holidays to upgrade my Linux system to
64-bit - mainly because my 32-bit PCLinuxOS started glitching and
freezing after an update (hah!) it'd been fine before that.

So all is now Mandriva 2010 64-bit and works fine except that the jre
don't work. I've downloaded and installed several versions - including
the preferred Mandriva version from their repository but none work when
I click on websites known to have java bits.

I have to have this as our website host uses the jre to install stuff
into our webpage and now I can't which is a serious problem.

I suspect a pointer has been left pointing to a 32-bit sub-directory
instead of 64-bit stuff. I've had that happen before but this baffles me
because I know nowt about java - hence this squeak for help.

Any ideas where I might be able to tweak a config file to get it all
working? If it don't work, I'll have to consider another distro
altogether. I'm thinking of Kubuntu (gotta be kde) but wonder if nfs
shares is easy to set up with Kubuntu because my backup machine uses
rsync over an nfs network.

Right gotta go - noise of hooves on the roof. All kind offerings etc...
:-)
MikeR