[Klug-general] Mail.....

Peter Childs PChilds at bcs.org.uk
Sun Feb 1 13:00:17 UTC 2009

2009/2/1 Laurence Southon <laurence at southon.uk.net>:
> Peter Childs wrote:
>>
>> Oddly enough the only demanId I have is to be able to send tables of
>> text and for it to arrive in that fashion.
>>

> Email isn't really a suitable medium for that, you might be better to
> create formatted documents and send as an attachment, eg PDF or odt, I
> won't mention other formats for fear of flames.

Yes but do we really need to create a large attachment that needs
software to read it, if all that needs to be sent is a 3 by 3 table of
numbers to be sent quickly. Mind you I've seen this user using spaced
to push things onto the next line rather than a the enter key.....
This is also why there are so many html emails around these days.

> But is this for internal or external use? If you are using email
> internally rather like a forum, then you could have an internal forum,
> or a wiki, maybe. Both would be capable of preserving table formatting.

No its the external, Oddly enough the internal system can handle it
because everyone uses the same program and if it was necessary I would
tweak it.The internal system got done like this because email did not
fit the purpose.

> As regards external email, if you have a Linux server then it should be
> a question of correct configuration for email to work, and perfectly
> possible to reject most Spam and deal with viruses.

Virus are not really an issue we use Linux 100% in house, and it
should be enough to say don't open an attachment unless you know what
it is. and its the old story of false positives on the spam front. I
do have a virus scanning web cache in place (Which in many cases these
days is where the viruses actually are.

> Much depends on the requirements of your business processes. That sounds
> very grand and high falutin, but what it means is work out first what it
> is you need to achieve, and then see how an IT system can help you
> achieve it. The delight of Linux is we have total freedom to do that.

Its more of a training and requirements issue, I've given up and am
really waiting for people to tell me what they need.

Peter