[Klug-general] CD Rom Writing

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:21:01 UTC 2009

2009/2/28 nic dan <dungeons88 at hotmail.com>:
> Peter
>
> Hope you find this useful, as it's too tricky a topic to explain
>
> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html
>
> Aitch :)

>> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:58:46 +0000
>> From: pchilds at bcs.org
>> To: kent at mailman.lug.org.uk
>> Subject: [Klug-general] CD Rom Writing
>>
>> I'm trying to write some CDs under Ubuntu, and I've hit a few problems.
>>
>> Normally I would claim to be an expert but I hate things that are
>> meant to "just work" and don't and nobody wishes to tell where to
>> start. Unfortunately Linux is getting more and more like this, In fact
>> I would say more windows like in this.......
>>
>> I'm trying to write some CDs and lets say it does not work.
>>
>> Using the default inbuilt Gnome CD rom writer I get an error message
>> of "Error while copying" "Operation not supported by backend" which is
>> completely meaning less, (Really very windows like in nature!)
>>
>> If I use Brasero is segments and dies when I try and burn a cd. This
>> happens on both my Laptop and Desktop. both running Ubuntu 8.10.
>>
>> The CDRom how to seams completely out of date, so have not really got
>> a clue of where to start.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter.

Moral, Don't be too clever and don't try and write files stored on a
network share to a CD. If the files are on the local disk, It does
just work, However the error messages are not that usful to tell you
that that was the mistake I had made :) I don't supose that it would
have worked if I had mounted the shares properly rather than relieying
on Gnome back ends to sort it out.

The truth is, GUI are bad, they give silly short error messages that
don't even surgest where the problem is, and hide real detail that is
important, This has always been the problem with Windows and is
becoming the problem with Linux too, due to the fact that some people
don't know what to do with a CLI if they are parked in front of one.

Peter
:)