[Klug-general] MQSQL to MYSQL

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 23:22:28 UTC 2009

On Monday 05 Jan 2009, Dan Attwood wrote:
> Hi all this is a bit of a long shot but never ventrued...
>
> We have an enterpise system here built on MSSQL and a new website beng
> built that uses phpbb for its forums running on MYSQL.
>
> We need to use phpbb as we need to tie the forums into several different
> websites.
>
> We tryign to set it up that changes can be made in the MSSQL database -
> adding new users etc and then these changes be passed into the MYSQL
> server.
>
> Wer'e using mysql odbc 5 and we can set up a linked server in MSSQL
> enterprise manager, we can see the MYSQL tables and we can run queries that
> pull the data out of the tables. We can't however get the quries to write
> data back into the MYSQL tables.
>
> Does anyone have an ideas or experience in doing this?
>

> Dan

How about doing the following:

decide on the tables you care about for copying to mysql

add update/delete/insert triggers to those tables

when a record is updated in those tables a log is written by the trigger.

then you have a daemon on the mysql side to read the log and update the mysql
tables.

the log records are deleted/flagged as the daemon processes them, so if an
error occurs you can fix it then begin where it left off.

for this I would use perl with DBI::Proxy running in cygwin as it will have
easy access to the mssql and mysql servers.

Just my 2p