[Klug-general] January 2009 Meeting

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 15:36:35 UTC 2009

Colin McCarthy wrote:

> There is no agenda planned as yet, so please reply offering
> suggestions for topics or volunteering to do a talk.

We have just decided to renew the kentlug.org domain for some time.  It
is unclear whether the hiatus at lug.org.uk is now resolved - perhaps
someone can update us on that.

If we are to continue to use the VM donated by Julia to run our web
presence I wonder if this meeting would be a suitable opportunity to
discuss how we might do that on a better footing than at present.

(For those not aware, due to a security vulnerability, and consequent
successful attack on lug.org.uk last year the servers were taken down
for an extended period.  In the meantime we asked for kent.lug.org.uk to
be redirected to kentlug.org and Colin has been manually maintaining a
few static HTML pages there in the meantime.)

We established in an online meeting on IRC that we would in principle be
happy to run PHP on the machine, and some work was done to install a
WiKi.  We are therefore probably in a position to also install the
(Joomla?) CMS  we were using on lug.org.uk.  We should, however, take
the appropriate steps to ensure that we are not vulnerable to an attack.
  Doing so would seem to be a matter of controlling certain global
settings for PHP, and checking the provenance of any plug-ins used, and
perhaps being conservative in the number used.

As a number of the key players are likely to be present at the next
meeting I suggest that we put a slot on the agenda to progress this further.

MikeE